Sunday, June 26, 2011

Subpar...

I haven't been a very good runner since my 5K. In the three weeks since then, I've only run about nine miles. Honestly, I think I kind of burnt myself out. I felt like I needed to take a break,  reevaluate, and start fresh. So, I took a week off, and now I'm back to the beginning, but I'm kind of okay with that. My next 5K is on September 10th, and I plan on training properly, for both distance and time.  The best part is, I'll have a PR to beat. 


Since I started running (and taking the Exercise and Stress Management class that I'm almost finished with) I've had a much greater focus on fitness in general, and eating better. I want to learn more about Yoga and Pilates. I've practiced occasionally, but never attempted to make it a consistent part of my routine.  I do know that the core strength and flexibility will only help my running.

As far as personal image goes, I've never been thrilled with my body. I started at 135lbs, gained quite a bit when I was pregnant, and was stuck at 150lbs for what seemed like an eternity. (And until my now husband told me that I "have a few pounds to lose" which may have stung then, but it prevent me from weighing 170lbs now, sitting on the couch and eating bonbons.) Now I'm back between 130 and 135, but my body isn't back to where it used to be. Running has done amazing things for my legs (and butt) and I'm pretty happy with my upper body. But my muffin top needs help. And not in the form of muffins. (Or cake, or pie, or ice cream, or gummy worms, etc.) 


So my goal for the rest of the summer (and the rest of my life) is to not only eat better, but to incorporate Yoga, Pilates, and ab work into my routine.

This morning at the store, I bought healthy cereal instead of the sugar coated types I would normally eat out of the box without milk, Activia yogurt, fresh fruit, healthy lunch meat, and planned relatively healthy dinners for the week. I also eat oatmeal with flax seed, Cliff bars, SoyJoy bars, and Powerbars. Maybe if I start eating well first thing in the morning the rest of the day will fall into place. Maybe.


This week, I intend to run at least three times, whether treadmill or outside, hopefully for a total of 7 to 9 miles. And to do Yoga and/or Pilates at least once. This morning I ran 1.7 miles, but I didn't start my Garmin properly so I don't know my time.  I completely failed at pacing myself though. I read blogs about women who run 5 or 6 miles a day, and I really hope that I can get to that place.
I will leave you with some randomness...

Photos of my dog, Moby. 


 "Oh, tartarsauce."


Moby the boat dog.


Renardo completely freaked out before his first haircut.

And the beautiful ring that my husband just bought me...


Additionally, for those who care, I plan to start blogging a little more about my running, and a little less about myself. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Its alright that you took some time off, at least you are coming back to it pretty quickly! It will also give you a chance to reevaluate how you will train for your next 5k to get a new PR!

    I don't know about you, but when I buy healthy food, I still want to go back to the old food because for me its easier to get out and run rather than change my diet.

    And last thing, for the core workout have you looked into planks? They can be miserable but they are great for strengthening the core!

    Good luck this week :D

    ReplyDelete