Monday, February 6, 2012

Running w/ Moby

Yesterday...

EXERCISE: 2.5 miles (outside) 36 minutes

There is a trail less than a quarter mile from my house that goes up the hill that I live on, and spits you out around the (rural) block. I've done the whole loop before, usually going up the steep side, down the more gradual incline (decline on the way down, I suppose) and home. It is 3.92 miles. Today, I was scheduled to run 2.5 miles. Yesterday, I woke up, and decided I wanted to run outside. It was cold. But, the treadmill is quickly becoming my nemesis, and I wanted to remember why I enjoy running in the first place. So I put on a whole bunch of clothes...

-running leggings
-running shorts
-tank top
-long sleeved running shirt
-fleece jacket
-gloves
-ear muff band thing (?)
-Garmin
-Brooks

I ran up the gradual side, to the very top, turned around, and came back. Despite everything that wasn't good, this was probably the best run I've ever had. And what made it good, was that I took my dog. 

There was nobody else on the trail, so I let Moby off lead as soon as we were far enough away from the road. He stayed close to me, never running too far ahead and never falling behind. Because he was there, I felt safe. Nobody is going to bother me when I have my dog. He is (a teeny bit) intimidating. I only had to focus on myself and my running. No music. No distractions. Just running. I also learned on this run (an age old lesson that I refused to accept until now) that it is OK to stop and walk. I only stopped twice, and only for a few seconds, but it helped me to relax and recover enough to keep going.

Let me go back to my dog for a second...I grew up terrified of dogs. A few years ago, I got a job at a pet store. I thought that maybe the exposure would help. It did, but I was still wary. So, I did what any rational dog fearing person would do. I bought a puppy.

















He was about 14 lbs...smaller than the cats.
Now, he is about 90 lbs, almost two years old, and the best guard dog I could ask for. He wouldn't hurt a fly, but he will scare the words out of you if you try to come on our property. 





















Today, for the first time in quite a while, my legs are sore and my dog is tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment